Home

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Revel in the quiet time!

Recently I have become a stay at Mom, right now it is currently to my adorable yellow lab but soon it will not only be to Ducati but to my little man.  Ducati is a very manageable dependent, his day consists of breakfast, belly rubs, an occasional walk, more belly rubs, dinner and then bedtime.  I fully understand that my life will change considerably in a month when my baby boy joins our family.  Everyone tells me I should revel in this quiet time that has been laid upon me but to be honest I am bored out of my mind.  As I sit here in my house, fire lit, snow falling, one movie already watched, typing away and it's only 3pm.  Is this what the next four weeks will entail?  To make matters worse my doctor has told me to stay close to home.  I live in the mountains of Colorado and even a trip Denver could trigger labor because of the elevation change.  Cabin fever anyone?  So, here I am, trying to enjoy this time to myself....this last little bit of singledom before I become a Mom.  It is not as easy as you think.  Maybe it is hard on me because I am limited to what I can do on a day to day basis.  Vail Mountain reports 15 inches of new snow and all I can do is stare envious at my beautifully tuned powder skis hanging in my garage.  I release a large sigh, walk back inside my house, grab the swifter and start cleaning the floors.  Is this my life going forward?

I am realizing that part of the reason I cannot enjoy my new found freedom is that I am having a hard time not having a job.  I have this idea in my head that having a job gives me a since of purpose and by not having that therefore takes away my since of purpose.  That I will be looked down upon or not valued because I am just a stay at home mom.  I think that my life will subsequently become about my child(ren) and nothing left for myself.  Loosing something that drives me for me and not for anyone else.  As I look outside, it dawns on me....I didn't like my job.  I say job and not career because that is what it was....a job that I wasn't crazy about.  Surely nothing I would want to spend 40 hours a week away from my son for.  This interim time will be a good thing.  It will be nice to concentrate on my new addition and myself.  It doesn't have to be either/or.  I now have time bond with my child, my husband, my family and myself.  Time to figure out what drives me and what I want to drive me going forward.  

Quiet time....a new found appreciation!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment